Incoming SMSes are free on international travel - Credit Cards, Points and Miles

Latest

I share my experience and knowledge on how to maximize points/miles on credit cards and get the maximum benefits while traveling or shopping or just about anything.

Tuesday 13 August 2019

Incoming SMSes are free on international travel

Well, this might common knowledge for many out there, but I was pleasantly surprised to know that incoming SMSes are free on international travel from India, whether you are using a Postpaid or a Prepaid connection, you just need to activate international roaming on your phone.

When planning my recent vacation to Singapore, I was a bit worried about keeping my primary number switched off for a week. Because in the past, I have been a victim of unauthorized transactions on my credit card, and it was only the SMS alerts from my bank that saved the day for me. Another option was to buy an international roaming pack, but being a Marwadi, I didn't want to spend money on roaming pack, when Whatsapp works just fine.😜

In the hindsight, this turned out to be blessing in disguise as I was using a Niyo Global Card (Will review it soon) and was able to receive OTPs on my registered mobile for online transactions I did in Singapore.

So all the travelers, traveling abroad from India, ensure that you keep your primary mobile number active, the one that is registered with your bank and credit card, to receive SMSes alerts while you travel.

1 comment: